I like to make my own salad dressings; this way I can control the amount of sugar and salt that is added. This is one of my popular “house” dressings. Serve with your favorite salad greens or veggies. Enjoy!
2 Tbs. Unsweetened Strawberry Fruit Spread
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup (of choice: Apple Cider, Balsamic, etc.)
¼ tsp. salt
Pinch of black pepper
Add Fruit Spread to bowl and stir until smooth. Whisk in vinegar, until creamy. Add salt and pepper. Whisk in Olive Oil until well blended. Makes about 1 cup of dressing.
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- Reduce Heart Problems:Natural olive oil contains 70% monounsaturated fatty acid. As a result, it lowers cholesterol accumulation in the blood and reduces heart problems. It reduces the LDL, while at the same time increasing the HDL levels.
- Blood Cholesterol:LDL cholesterol is the bad type of cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart attacks and pulmonary heart disease. Extra virgin olive oil, which is rich in almost 40 antioxidant chemicals, helps reduce the oxidation effects of LDL cholesterol.
- Weight Loss:Medical experts suggest that it is very difficult to gain weight from the mono-unsaturated fats present in olive oil. Experiments involving Mediterranean olive oil have shown positive results in regards to a reduction in human body weight.
- Metabolism:Olive oil boosts the metabolism, the growth of good bone structure, and brain development in children. It is an excellent source of vitamin E, which is very beneficial for older people.
- Anti-inflammatory and Antimicrobial Properties:The phenols present in olive oil have anti-inflammatory properties. The antimicrobial characteristics of the oil are a result of its strong aroma.
- Digestion:Olive oil is known to aid in the digestive process. It is used as a medicinal oil to clean the digestive tract and to improve bowel movements.
- Aging Process:Rich in antioxidants, olive oil slows the natural aging process of the human body. Used in cosmetic products and natural herbal therapy, olive oil does wonders for the skin, which gets a natural shine and glow from the enriching oil.
- Prevention of Gall Stones:This oil is also effective in preventing gall stones.
- Healthy Cell Walls:Olive oil contains polyphenol, which helps in stronger cell walls. It also increases the elasticity of arterial walls, protecting against various heart conditions.
- Cancer:Olive oil is said to protect the human body against cancerous growth, especially bowel cancer. Medical research done at the prestigious Oxford University has shown positive signs that the acidic content of olive oil can prevent the commencement of rectum and bowel cancer. In the UK, bowel cancer is one of the most prevalent forms of cancer, and kills almost twenty thousand citizens every year.
- Breast cancer: Recentresearch study suggests that hydroxytyrosol, a major component of olive oil may help prevent breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Hypertension: Recent research study suggests that Mediterranean diet comprising of food rich in unsaturated fats (found in olive oil and nuts) and nitrite and nitrate (found in leafy green vegetables) may help protect you from hypertension.